Monday, August 15, 2016

Kindergarten Jitters...Still

The first day of kindergarten is all too quickly creeping up on us.  We have just two weeks left until the first day of school and I am still nowhere near ready.  Over the past week, first day of school pictures have been flooding my facebook newsfeed and each time I see one my anxiety creeps just a little bit higher with the thought that soon enough, that will be us.  Cliche as it is, it really does seem like just yesterday I was in the hospital giving birth and now here we are, off to school.  Where have the past 5 years gone?!

I think one of the biggest (though certainly not the biggest) contributing factors to my anxiety is the lack of being able to plan.  School is two weeks away...TWO weeks, and we have yet to learn who her teacher is.  We don't know what bus she will ride or what time she needs to be at the bus stop.  I don't know if I'm allowed to pack peanut butter sandwiches in her lunch box.  I just feel so under prepared.  When it comes to mentally preparing for things, especially when it has to do with my kids, I like to have everything laid out for me.  Here, it simply isn't there.  I am hoping the assignments come this week so that we can start talking about her teacher and remembering his or her name and start getting excited.

Next week we have Kindergarten Orientation.  I am not sure what all that entails but I'm excited to go.  I know we get to meet the teacher and see the classroom.  It will be nice to hopefully meet some other parents and start making friends.  I went out on a limb a few weeks ago and sent a facebook message to a mom I saw on our schools facebook page.  She had commented on a post that she was sending her son to kindergarten and upon visiting her profile I saw that she has 3 young boys.  Perfect right?  Unfortunately she read my message but never did reply. :'(  Hopefully that isn't a foreshadowing of how our making school friends is going to go.  As far as I know, there are no other kindergartners in our neighborhood so I really do hope that we are both able to make some friends at school.

As far as us, all we have left to do is finish school supply shopping.  We've purchased 5 (FIVE!!!) pairs of new shoes.  I don't think she has ever owned that many pairs of shoes in one size in her life.  Plus she has 2 other pairs that we got earlier, but not specifically for school.  We've gone clothes shopping and gotten her an entire new wardrobe.  She picked out her first day of school dress all by herself (sort of)!  We have a backpack and lunch box.  I can't think of any other things that we need.

If you have a child that has already gone to kindergarten, what advice would you give to a mom that is sending her child to school for the first time?  Seriously, the first time.  We have done 3 summers of VBS (one week, 3 hours a day) but other than that, she has never done a school, class, camp or ANYTHING where we have been apart so this is going to be a huge huge huge adjustment for us both!

No comments: