Saturday, January 12, 2013

And then there were 4...

Wow, I really suck at updating, huh?  I was all set to get back into the swing of blogging and then Zachary happened, lol!  Back on December 4th I requested an ultrasound to check fluid levels since they had been low a few weeks prior.  Although my doctor felt that everything was okay, to please me, he let me get the ultrasound.  Turns out, it was a good thing I asked.  I went immediately from the doctor to the hospital for the scan where we found out my levels were 5.3 - even lower than they were with Samantha when I was rushed to an induction.  Thankfully this time, they let me go home to get my bags and get childcare for Samantha taken care of.  I arrived at the hospital around 2:00pm and the induction got started.  I needed to get prostin gel because my cervix wasn't favorable and after 2 doses I was in full blown labor much to everyones surprise.  I ended up laboring so quickly that I couldn't get an epidural and my OB didn't even make it to the hospital in time for the birth.  Zachary was born on December 5th, 2012 at 3:46 am, just 26 minutes after my water broke.  He was 6 pounds 15 ounces and 20 1/3 inches long.  It turns out the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and there was a small rupture in my placenta which may account for the super fast delivery.  Even through all the pain, I am thrilled to be able to say I have given birth naturally.  (Well without the epidural.  I did have a small narcotic about 4 hours before he was born, but it had worn off by the time I was pushing.)  Then a little over a week after the birth I started having some new symptoms and went back to the doctor.  Even though I mostly felt fine my doctor took a swab and again, it was a good thing he did.  The following week I got a call that I had an e. coli infection in my uterus.  Fun, no?  I was on antibiotics for a week which was less than pleasant since I am breast feeding and was unable to feed him for 6 hours after taking the medicine.  Thankfully I was able to pump bottles for him and he had no troubles switching back and forth between bottle and breast.  Zach is now 5 weeks old and doing amazing.  We are so thrilled he is here and he has been a welcome addition to our family.


Tomorrow I will post an update about Samantha and then an update on Zachary!!

No comments: